Crunching the Carwash Numbers
Fast lube/carwash combination facilities are nothing new. However, one always wonders if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
That’s why we’ve broken down the 2013 Fast Lube Operators Survey to take a closer look at how fast lube/carwash facilities compare to the survey national average from the 2013 Fast Lube Operators Survey and how they compare to fast lube-only facilities. What we refer to as the “national average” from here on refers to the average figures printed in the 2013 Fast Lube Operator Survey. This national average is figured from various types of facilities reporting, including fast-lube only, fast lube/carwash, lube and tune, etc.
Here are a few interesting points:
• The cost of goods at a fast lube/carwash facility is surprisingly low, at $11.89. This number is $1.33 less than what fast lube-only facilities are paying and $1.19 less than the national average.
• When it comes to average ticket total, fast lube-only facilities are reigning, garnering tickets of $68.11 — $2.33 more than the national average. Fast lube/carwash facilities have an average ticket total of $62.66 — $3.12 less than the national average.
• It looks like sales are good at both types of facilities. Fast lube/carwash sales are more than $75,000 above the national average, while fast-lube only sales are more than $170,000 above the national average. • When it comes to prices, fast lube-only facilities are higher across the board — except for the category of basic, low-cost LOF service, where they are the lowest.
• It looks like the fast lube/carwash combination facilities are slow to start offering re-refined or “green” oil changes. Only 9 percent of operations do so, compared to the national average of 34 percent and the fast lube-only average of 36 percent.
• Only 14 percent of fast lube/carwash facilities increased their LOF price in the last 12 months, compared to the national average of 75 percent. The amount of increase in the LOF price was $1.26 less than the national average, as well.
• Fast lube/carwash combo facilities discount their own oil changes less often than the national average and fast lube-only facilities, with only 51 percent doing so. The discount is $3.15 less than the national average, as well.
• It looks like fleets are flocking to fast lube/carwash facilities. Sixteen percent of their sales are made up of fleet accounts, compared to the 9-percent national and fast lube-only averages.
If you are a fast lube/carwash operator, a lube owner looking at adding an additional profit center or just wondering if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, be sure to take a look at the rest of the numbers.