2014 TOPS in the Industry Rankings
Published in March, the Tops in the Fast Lube Industry Rankings lists the top fast oil change "chains" — those companies operating six or more like-branded facilities — by the number of lube shops each operates. This year, the 52 chains that made the fast lube list operated a grand total of 6,727 facilities.
In addition to the fast lube list, NOLN ranks the top "oil change-plus" chains, which are those companies that offer oil changes, but generally not as the primary focus of the business (i.e. tire stores, mass-merchant retailers, carwashes, etc.). We also rank "associated" chains (those companies that operated six or more stores that wear signage of a larger operation), U.S.-based foreign chains (those U.S.-based companies with a sizable overseas fast lube presence), international lube chains and truck lube chains that primarily service commercial trucks.
Fast Lube Industry Facts
- As of March 1, 2014, there were approximately 16,908 fast lube facilities in operation in the United States (as characterized by those facilities that derive a majority of their annual gross sales from quick oil change and other preventative automotive maintenance service). Overall, the industry's facility population decreased by approximately 1.5 percent between March 1, 2013 and March 1, 2104. (Source: NOLN estimate based on internal database.)
- For 2014, the fast lube industry will record gross sales of approximately $11.4 billion.
Fast Lube Chain Facts
- The top chain is Jiffy Lube, which is expected to open an additional 50 stores in 2014.
- One new fast lube chain made the list this year; Hawaii-based Flagship FastLube currently operates six stores.
- Illinois-based Oil Express chalked up a 33 percent increase in store population, adding five shops during 2013.
- Grease Monkey grew by 11 percent over the last year, thanks to its acquisition of Lube Pro's.
Oil Change-Plus Chain Facts
- Five of the of 10 Oil Change-Plus chains grew during 2013: Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express, Meineke Car Care Center, Monro Muffler Brake & Service, Pep Boys and Quick Lane Tire & Auto Center.
- Lithia Motors was the fastest growing Oil Change-Plus chain during 2013, with a 40 percent increase.
- Honest-1 Auto Care saw 33 percent growth during 2013, adding 10 shops year over year.
- Three new chains were added to the Oil Change-Plus list: Kauffman Tire, Royal Tire and Francis & Sons Car Wash.
View the rankings here.