What’s In Store for iFLEX at The Car Wash Show 2017
The Automotive Oil Change Association’s flagship event, iFLEX, presented by AOCA, will be held April 4-6 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The convention and tradeshow is once again co-locating with the International Carwash Association’s (ICA) annual The Car Wash Show. Attending iFLEX is the perfect opportunity to learn about industry trends, discover new products and services, and generate profit-enhancing ideas. It’s one of the only places you can meet with your peers and talk shop. Many testimonials have proved this to be one of attendees’ most valuable experiences. They get to discuss business ideas and problems with others who know their business; often the best solutions may come while waiting in line for a morning coffee or while talking shop at one of the social events.
Education The calendar is full of action, as the week kicks off with two in-depth seminars: Emerging Leaders Seminar and Reception — where you’ll learn five steps to achieve career success in the car wash and oil and lube industries — and the New Investor Seminar and Reception. The educational sessions get into full swing on Tuesday. The Car Wash Show features more than 12 hours of education and more than 48 sessions, including 24 relevant to fast lube operators. Some fast lube-relevant sessions include:
• Your Behaviors are Showing – Communication Skills at Work, presented by Claudia St. John, president, Affinity HR Group, Inc.: Are some associates better at dealing with customers than others? Wondering who to hire, who to promote and who to fire? This seminar presents the concept of behavioral style preferences and their profound impact on interpersonal communication and competency. Learn how to identify different behavior styles and how to interact better with others.
• Potential Impact of Self-Driving Cars on Engine Oil Requirements and Fast Lube Business, presented by Gary Parsons, Chevron Oronite Company LLC: Self-driving vehicles with vehicle-to-vehicle communications have the potential to drive under less stressful operating conditions which will likely allow extended drain intervals, but changes in oil drain frequencies may be offset by increased vehicle miles traveled by fewer vehicles. When full autonomy is reached, the self-driving vehicle may drive itself to the fast lube for an oil change. To be successful long-term, infrastructure development and policy changes have to go hand-in-hand with the technical advancements. Fast lube operators need to start planning for the market changes that are coming.
• Fast Lube Products & Services Under Scrutiny: What Can You Sell? What Can You Say About It? Presented by Joanna Johnson, AOCA policy advisor: Consumers want hassle-free and cost-effective aftermarket products, but regulators are questioning whether the way installers provide them amounts to fraud. Certain products, like transmission fluids and converters, and certain services, like de-carbonization, are drawing extra heat, as well. Even recommending service intervals on reminder stickers can be problematic. Attend this session to get the latest information on the regulation, legislation and cases affecting your business model. Find out what you can do today to keep customers happy while staying in the clear with this new wave of regulation.
• HR Challenges Roundtable, facilitated by Claudia St. John, president, Affinity HR Group, Inc.: Wishing you had a solid hiring program? Having difficulty keeping up with or understanding evolving regulatory requirements? Looking for ways to motivate and manage your workforce? Come learn from your peers and an HR industry expert.
• How to Navigate the Digital Marketing World, presented by Dan Smith, Pistn Marketing: Unfortunately, there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to marketing effectively in the digital world. The objective of this session is to identify common questions and to provide basic answers. This session will send you back to your business with a clear plan to improve your digital marketing footprint in 2017 and beyond.
• How to Create a Unified Culture in a Multi-Site Company, a panel discussion moderated by Claudia St. John, president, Affinity HR Group, Inc.: Creating a common culture can be a challenge when you have multiple shops across multiple locations. You can only be in one place at a time, and each of your shop managers has a different personality and style. How can one develop a solid, common corporate identity despite these challenges? Come and learn tips from a pro and hear how peers handle employee training, leadership and communication across multiple locations.
• Visibility Wins: How to Build Your Business by Building Your Brand, presented by David Avrin, president, The Visibility Coach: Today’s consumer is confronted with many quality options to choose from when seeking car care. Why should they choose you? What makes you stand out? In this eye-opening presentation, Avrin will reveal what it really takes to recognize and promote your competitive advantage while building an industry-leading brand identity. Avrin’s presentation will give you a new perspective on how to stand out in today’s saturated car care market and a head full of fresh, new strategies to become top-of-mind with top prospective clients.
• What GDI and New Technology Means to You, presented by Owen Heatwole, Solid Start/True Brand: Now more than ever, preventive maintenance is crucial with GDI technology. Bosch and HIS research firm predict there will be more than 40 million GDI vehicles on the road by 2025. Learn how GDI technology brings opportunity.
• Bridging the Gap from GF-5 to GF-6: Preparing for New Industry Standards, presented by Chevron Oronite Company, LLC: Motor oil specifications are regularly upgraded to reflect the latest engine hardware and their needs. The specifications cover concerns that are raised by OEMs. The engine oil specification in North America is going through an unprecedented amount of changes both in heavy-duty diesel and gasoline engine oils. ILSAC GF-6, the next global gasoline engine oil specification for vehicles from U.S. and Japanese manufacturers, will be comprised of six newly developed engine tests that will promote enhanced lubricant performance. While the industry awaits the development of the GF-6 specification, there is a need to upgrade products to meet the second-generation dexos1 specification (dexos1:2015), developed to protect General Motors’ new (turbocharged gasoline direct injection) and legacy engine platforms before the expiration of dexos1:2010 licenses on August 31, 2017.
• Ready, Steady, Engage! Tips for Engaging Your Workforce, presented by Claudia St. John, president, Affinity HR Group, Inc.: Study after study reveals that employee engagement is directly linked to increased productivity, profitability and client satisfaction. How can you improve employee engagement? This session explores the components of employee engagement and includes tips for helping organizations reach their full potential.
The Car Wash Show keynote speaker is Tom Ridge. If there’s one person who knows how to conquer a challenge, it’s Ridge, the first Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, former governor of Pennsylvania and chairman, Ridge Global. Hand-selected by president George W. Bush, Ridge was tasked with creating and implementing a comprehensive strategy to strengthen homeland security after the deadliest attack ever on United States soil — September 11. In his keynote address, “From Risk to Resilience: The Global Mission to Secure Cyberspace,” he offers key strategies for cyber security, international security and risk management issues. His sought-after insights are sure to excite and inspire attendees.
Trade Show Another highlight of the annual iFLEX convention is the trade show. The 2017 The Car Wash Show is poised to have more than 130,000 square feet of products and service displays. The trade show is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday, April 4, 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 5, and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, April 6. New this year is a trade show booth crawl. This event, held Wednesday, April 5, allows you to interact with vendors and car care professionals and build strong relationships. You’ll want to keep an eye out for exhibiting companies that have a bar at their booth — it’s the perfect ice breaker to help strike up a conversation about your next big idea. There will be a few celebrities at the trade show, as well. WWE Hall of Famer “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, America’s Tough Guy, is best known for his patriotic ring entrance with the USA flag, a two-by-four length of wood as a weapon, the battle cry “Hooo!” and the U-S-A! cheer. He will be appearing in the Ngen booth (No. 2028) Tuesday, April 4 for photos and autographs.
Registration There are several types of registration available for The Car Wash Show. An All Access Pass ($399) includes access to the trade show, welcome reception and exhibitor booth crawl, as well as more than 70 educational sessions, seminars, quick hits and the keynote session. The Trade Show Only Pass ($189) includes access to the trade show, welcome reception, exhibitor booth crawl and quick hits. A One Day All Access Pass ($299 per day) includes access to educational sessions, trade show and networking events for the day purchased. A One Day Trade Show pass ($149 per day) grants access to the trade show for the day purchased. New this year is the VIP Access pass ($100 upgrade from All Access Pass). You can purchase the VIP upgrade — an add-on for All Access Pass holders — and enhance your show experience: • Receive your badge by mail in advance of the show to avoid waiting in lines when you arrive at the show • Experience two extra hours of VIP trade show time before the show opens to the public on Wednesday and Thursday • Receive access to the Century Club lounge throughout the show • Enjoy free luggage check at the Las Vegas Convention Center and a complementary shuttle ride to McCarran Airport on Thursday, April 6 To register, visit www.aoca.org and then click on “events,” “iFLEX 2017” and “register.”
Schedule of Events (as of press time) Monday, April 3 1 pm – 5 pm: Emerging Leaders Seminar and Reception — Five Steps to Expert: How to Achieve Career Success in the Car Wash and Oil and Lube Industries 1 pm – 5 pm: New Investor Seminar and Reception
Tuesday, April 4 8 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.: Your Behaviors are Showing — Communication Skills at Work 8 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.: “The 30-Minute Marketing Plan” — How to Market Your Business in the New Economy 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.: 3 “Easy E’s” of the Car Care Industry — Solving Customer Service Challenges to Drive Big Profits 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.: Looking at Trends in the Full/Flex Serve Segment 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.: Personal Branding in the Digital Age 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.: Fundamentals of Express Car Wash Success: Why Belts, Brands and Buildings Will Dominate in 2017 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.: Is It Worth It? The Rules of ROI Calculation Nobody Told You 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.: Potential Impact of Self-Driving Cars on Engine Oil Requirements and Fast Lube Business 9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.: New Vehicle Technology — The Effects of Emerging Automotive Technology on Car Wash Operations 9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.: From Transactional Sales to Transformational Relationships: Unlimited Wash Programs 9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.: Guidance in Uncertain Times 9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.: Trending Car Wash Advancements: Where to Put Your $$ in 2017 9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.: Trends in Car Wash M&A and Financing 9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.: Products & Services Under Scrutiny: What Can You Sell? What Can You Say About It? 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: HR Challenges Roundtable 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: 3 “Easy E’s” of the Car Care Industry — Solving Customer Service Challenges to Drive Big Profits 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: New Vehicle Technology — The Effects of Emerging Automotive Technology on Car Wash Operations 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: Guidance in Uncertain Times 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: Marketing to Millennials Roundtable 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: How Car Washes Can Embrace the Future of Marketing: Mobile Apps and Loyalty 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: “Every Drop Counts” — Water Solutions for the 21st Century Car Wash 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: How to Navigate the Digital Marketing World 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.: Trade Show Open 11:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.: Quick Hits on the Trade Show Floor 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m.: Welcome Reception
Wednesday, April 5 8 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.: State of the Industry Breakfast and Keynote Presentation featuring Tom Ridge 9:45 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Secrets to Creating Sticky Social Media Content 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: How to Create a Unified Culture in a Multi-Site Company — Panel Discussion 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: Mobile Digital Marketing: Opportunity is Banging on the Door 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: The Membership Economy 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: How the Membership Economy Can Drive Revenue, Cash Flow and Word of Mouth with Your Best Customers 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: Leveraging Technology to Enhance Customer Experience 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: Boost Revenue Today 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: What GDI and New Technology Means to You 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: Self-Serve Panel Discussion 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: Trade Show Open, VIP Access Only 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Tips for Managing Customer Expectations — Panel Discussion 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Looking at Trends in the Exterior/Express Exterior Segment 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: The Membership Economy 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: How the Membership Economy Can Drive Revenue, Cash Flow and Word of Mouth with Your Best Customers 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Mobile Payments: The New Way to Pay 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Keep the Change: Attract More Customers & Keep Them 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Bridging the Gap from GF-5 to GF-6: Preparing for New Industry Standards 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Self-Serve Panel Discussion 11:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.: Trade Show Open 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.: Quick Hits on the Trade Show Floor 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.: AOCA Member Meeting & Lunch 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.: Booth Crawl 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.: AOCA President’s Reception
Thursday, April 6 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.: Ready, Steady, Engage! Tips for Engaging Your Workforce 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.: Looking at Trends in the Full/Flex Serve Segment 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.: ICA Consumer Research Study 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.: Roundtable — Upselling Ideas (value-added services) 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.: Looking at Trends in the Exterior/Express Exterior Segment 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.: New Investor: The Real Numbers and Pitfalls You Need to Know 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.: Capturing New Revenue Opportunities in Low-Viscosity and High-Mileage Oils 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.: Trade Show Open, VIP Access Only 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Trade Show Open 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.: Quick Hits on the Trade Show Floor