TechSpec: 2015 Jeep Renegade
The all-new 2015 Jeep Renegade marks the brand’s entry into the growing small sport-utility vehicle segment. The SUV offers a segment-first, nine-speed automatic transmission that contributes to outstanding on-road and off-road driving dynamics, two fuel-efficient engines and many safety and advanced technology offerings.
The 2015 Renegade features new styling with rugged body forms and aggressive proportions. Expanding the open-air freedom that originated with the legendary 1941 Willys MB Jeep, the Renegade offers two available “My Sky” open-air roof systems that conveniently stow to provide passengers open-air freedom with ease.
The small SUV’s interior detail, innovative and high-quality color and material appointments, state-of-the-art technology and clever storage draw inspiration from contemporary extreme sports gear and lifestyles.
The Renegade offers customers a choice of two MultiAir four-cylinder engines that provide more than 30 miles per gallon on the highway. The 16-valve, 2.4-liter Tigershark I-4 engine and the MultiAir2 electro-hydraulic fully variable valve-lift system produces 180 horsepower, 175 pound-feet of torque and is paired exclusively to a nine-speed automatic transmission.
The 2.4-liter engine’s MultiAir technology uses a column of oil in place of the traditional mechanical link between the camshaft and intake valves to maximize intake manifold pressure and significantly reduce pumping losses. MultiAir2 takes the innovation further by simultaneously controlling both valve opening and closing events to more effective manage combustion quality and compression ratio, all to improve fuel economy and performance.
The 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo four-cylinder engine offers 160 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque to provide a spirited driving experience on Jeep Renegade Sport and Latitude 4x2 and 4x2 models. Paired with a six-speed transmission, the 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine transmits power through high-strength components throughout the drivetrain, including equal-length half shafts and a 4.438 final-drive ratio. Boost pressure is dynamically managed to provide a broad torque curve over a wide variety of ambient conditions, with a peak pressure of 22 psi at 4,000 rpm. Innovative MultiAir valve-actuation technology controls intake air cylinder-by-cylinder and stroke-by-stoke, reducing carbon-dioxide emissions and boosting fuel economy up to 7.5 percent, compared with an engine with a conventional valvetrain.
Designed and engineered to deliver Jeep 4x4 capability, the all-new Renegade is the first vehicle from Chrysler Group to use the all-new small-wide 4x4 architecture.
Leveraging 4x4 technology from the Jeep Cherokee, the Renegade offers two advanced and intelligent 4x4 systems. Both systems can provide up to 1,475 pound-feet of torque to the rear wheels for optimal grip: Jeep Active Drive — full time 4x4 system — and Jeep Active Drive Low — 4x4 system with 20:1 crawl ratio. The Renegade features the segment’s first disconnect rear axle and power take-off unit to help provide vehicles with enhanced fuel economy. Jeep Active Drive and Active Drive Low 4x4 systems instantly engage when 4x4 traction is needed.
Both Jeep Active Drive and Active Drive Low 4x4 systems include the Jeep Selec-Terrain system, providing up to five modes — auto, snow, sand and mud modes, plus exclusive rock mode on the Trailhawk model.
For drivers who demand the most off-road capability from their Jeep vehicles, the Renegade Trailhawk model delivers trail-rated 4x4 capability with an increased ride height for 8.7 inches of ground clearance, skid plates, front and rear tow hooks, 17-inch wheels with aggressive on-road and off-road tires, up to 8.1 inches of wheel articulation, hill-descent control, up to 19 inches of water fording and up to 2,000-pound towing capability with a 2.4-liter Tigershark engine and available tow package.
Safety and security were at the forefront in the development of the 2015 Jeep Renegade, setting the stage for up to 70 available safety and security features, including Forward Collision Warning-Plus, LaneSense Departure Warning-Plus, Blind-spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Path detection and more.
The 2015 Jeep Renegade has a starting MSRP of $17,995. A fully loaded 4x4 Trailhawk Renegade, with navigation, leather-trimmed bucket seats, remote start, nine amplified speaks with a subwoofer, a power retractable My Sky roof system, trailer towing package, Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection and a security alarm, carries a price tag of about $33,105.
Servicing the 2015 Jeep Renegade
The 2015 Jeep Renegade is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate in the instrument cluster. Operating conditions such as frequent short trips, trailer towing and extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe operating conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Drivers should have their vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or one year, whichever comes first.
At every oil change interval as indicated by oil change indicator system:
• Change oil and filter
• Inspect battery and clean and tightened terminals as required
• Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums and hoses
• Check and adjust hand brake
• Inspect exhaust system
• Inspect engine air filter, if using in dusty or off-road conditions
Every 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or once a year:
• Check tire condition/wear and adjust pressure; if necessary, check TireKit expiration date (if provided)
• Check operation of lighting system (headlamps, direction indicators, hazard warning lights, luggage compartment, passenger compartment, glove compartment, instrument panel warning lights, etc.)
• Check and, if necessary, top off fluid levels (brakes/hydraulic clutch, windshield washer, battery, engine coolant, etc.)
• Check engine control system operation (via diagnostic tool)
• Visually check the condition and wear of the front and rear brakes
• Replace cabin filter
At 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or 12 months and then every 20,000 miles (32,000 km) or two years thereafter:
• Check windshield/rear window wiper blade position/wear
• Check operation of windshield washer system and adjust jets, if necessary
• Check cleanliness of hood and tailgate locks and cleanliness and lubrication of linkages
Every two years:
• Replace brake fluid
Every 20,000 miles (32,000 km) or every two years:
• Visually inspect condition of exterior bodywork, underbody protection, pipes and hoses (exhaust, fuel system, brakes), rubber elements (boots, sleeves, bushings, etc.)
• Check the front suspension, tie rods, CV joints and replace, if necessary
• Check the tension of the accessory drive belt
Every 30,000 miles (48,000 km):
• Replace spark plugs (1.4L turbo engine)
Every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or every three years:
• Replace engine air filter
Every 40,000 miles (64,000 km) or every four years:
• Visually inspect the condition of the accessory drive belt
• Inspect PTU fluid level
• Inspect rear differential fluid level
Every 100,000 miles (160,000 km):
• Replace spark plugs (2.4L engine)
Every 100,000 miles (160,000 km) or every 10 years:
• Inspect and replace PCV valve, if necessary
Every 150,000 miles (240,000 km) or every 10 years:
• Flush and replace engine coolant
Every 150,000 miles (240,000 km) or every 15 years:
• Replace timing belt (1.4L turbo engine)
• Replace accessory drive belt
SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS
If vehicle is operated in dusty or off-road conditions:
• Change engine oil and filter every 4,000 miles (6,500 km)
• Inspect engine air filter at every oil change
If vehicle is used for trailer towing, heavy loading, taxi, police, delivery service, off-road, desert operation or if more than 50 percent of driving is at sustained speeds during hot weather, above 90 F (32 C):
• Change manual transmission fluid every 50,000 miles (80,000 km) or every five years
Fluids & Capacities
Motor Oil (1.4L turbo engine): SAE 5W-40; capacity is 4.0 quarts (3.8 liters)
Motor Oil (2.4L engine): SAE 0W-20; capacity is 5.5 quarts (5.2 liters)
Coolant: Mopar Antifreeze/Engine Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula; capacity is 5.5 quarts (5.2 liters) – 1.4L turbo engine and 6.8 quarts (6.5 liters) – 2.4L engine
ATF: Mopar ZF 8&9 Speed ATF automatic transmission fluid or equivalent
Brake Fluid: Mopar DOT 4
Refrigerant: HFO 1234yf